Wednesday, October 10, 2012

A Song that Reminds Me of Home

I'm going to attempt to do this memey thing called 30 Days of Song. I will not post this every day, because oh-my-pants-I'm-bored-already. Instead I'll post once or twice a week, as I feel like. So there. I am unrepentantly stealing this from Jen O. at My Tornado Alley. She rocks. I'm not sure if she stole it from somewhere, but here we go. 

A Song that Reminds Me of Somewhere

There are some places that are wholey magical. A couple of summers ago, sitting out in my grandparent's side yard, I sighed contentedly. "This is my favorite place in the whole world. When I die, I want my ashes scattered right beside that tree," I said. The Ex was incredulous, "Here?" My grandmother agreed, "With the traffic going by?" But for me, that spot is the spot where all the magic of my childhood occurred.

That's where I played under the old oak tree that eventually grew so big it began to collapse in on itself. It's where I climbed the cherry tree until I got so scared I could barely get back down. It's where I shot basketball, where I walked in after my first date, where I laid in the cool grass and pretended to be dead. Mostly, it's where I lay in the hammock for hours upon hours, reaading. Everything from Gone with the Wind to A Wrinkle in Time. It was my spot. My heaven. My peace and quiet. My world.

Right now, I can see the evening light filtering through the trees and hear the birds singing and calling. I can feel the breeze from the road and smell the fresh, grassy smell of Kentucky. There were so many songs I sang in that yard, so many tunes on my Walkman or, later, my Discman. But the song that always makes me think of that spot comes from the ill-fated year I tried to learn to play guitar. I practiced out on the lawn for hours and hours and by the end of the summer... I could play the intro. That was it. It's not even a very long intro.



Day 1 - Your Favorite Song - White Blank Page
Day 2 - Your Least Favorite Song - Barbie Girl
Day 3 -  A Song that Makes You Happy
Day 4 - A Song that Makes You Sad
Day 5 - A Song that Reminds you of Someone
Day 6 - A Song that Reminds you of Somewhere (today)
Day 7 - A Song that Reminds You of a Certain Event
Day 8 - A Song that You Know All the Words To
Day 9 - A Song that You Can Dance to
Day 10 - A Song that Makes you Fall Asleep
Day 11 - A Song from your Favorite Band
Day 12 - A Song from a band you Hate
Day 13 - A Song that is a Guilty Pleasure
Day 14 - A Song that No One Would Expect you to Love
Day 15 - A Song that Describes You
Day 16 - A Song that You Used to Love but Now Hate
Day 17 - A Song that You Hear Often on the Radio
Day 18 - A Song that You Wish You Heard on the Radio
Day 19 - A Song from your Favorite Album
Day 20 - A Song that You Listen to When You're Angry
Day 21 - A Song that you Listen to when You're Happy
Day 22 - A Song that you Listen to when You're Sad
Day 23 - A Song that you Want to Play at your Wedding
Day 24 - A Song that you Want to Play at your Funeral
Day 25 - A Song that Makes you Laugh
Day 26 - A Song that you Can Play on an Instrument
Day 27 - A Song that you Wish you Could Play
Day 28 - A Song that Makes you Feel Guilty
Day 29 - A Song from Your Childhood
Day 30 - Your Favorite Song at this Time Last Year

No comments: