Tuesday, October 2, 2012

A Song that Reminds me of Brynna

I'm going to attempt to do this memey thing called 30 Days of Song. I will not post this every day, because oh-my-pants-I'm-bored-already. Instead I'll post once or twice a week, as I feel like. So there. I am unrepentantly stealing this from Jen O. at My Tornado Alley. She rocks. I'm not sure if she stole it from somewhere, but here we go. 

A Song that Reminds Me of Someone

Truth be told, most songs that remind me of someone remind me of crazy exes. I'm not sure why, but there is a whole collection of songs that I hear and automatically I fall back into whatever unhealthy relationship I was in when the song came out. And I could make you guys a list, but that's mostly stuff I don't like to relive.

On the other hand, there's "Friend of the Devil." Not long before Brynna was born, Counting Crows came out with a new greatest hits type album, Songs About Ghosts. And one of the new tracks on the disc was a cover of Grateful Dead's "Friend of the Devil." It wasn't long before that was my often replayed track and I was wearing it out.

When Brynna came along, I tried really hard to sing her lullabies. I'm a big believer in lullabies, but for some reason, they are all really short. I tried singing "Rock a Bye Baby" on a loop, but I'd always get bored and kinda trail off. So, one night when she was only a few days old, at about 3 a.m, I found myself singing "Friend of the Devil." I guess because I knew all the words. It quieted her right down and for years I swore that it was her favorite song.



Day 1 - Your Favorite Song - White Blank Page
Day 2 - Your Least Favorite Song - Barbie Girl
Day 3 -  A Song that Makes You Happy
Day 4 - A Song that Makes You Sad
Day 5 - A Song that Reminds you of Someone (today)
Day 6 - A Song that Reminds you of Somewhere
Day 7 - A Song that Reminds You of a Certain Event
Day 8 - A Song that You Know All the Words To
Day 9 - A Song that You Can Dance to
Day 10 - A Song that Makes you Fall Asleep
Day 11 - A Song from your Favorite Band
Day 12 - A Song from a band you Hate
Day 13 - A Song that is a Guilty Pleasure
Day 14 - A Song that No One Would Expect you to Love
Day 15 - A Song that Describes You
Day 16 - A Song that You Used to Love but Now Hate
Day 17 - A Song that You Hear Often on the Radio
Day 18 - A Song that You Wish You Heard on the Radio
Day 19 - A Song from your Favorite Album
Day 20 - A Song that You Listen to When You're Angry
Day 21 - A Song that you Listen to when You're Happy
Day 22 - A Song that you Listen to when You're Sad
Day 23 - A Song that you Want to Play at your Wedding
Day 24 - A Song that you Want to Play at your Funeral
Day 25 - A Song that Makes you Laugh
Day 26 - A Song that you Can Play on an Instrument
Day 27 - A Song that you Wish you Could Play
Day 28 - A Song that Makes you Feel Guilty
Day 29 - A Song from Your Childhood
Day 30 - Your Favorite Song at this Time Last Year

No comments: