Thursday, July 24, 2014

The Four Month Headache

Let me tell you about next door. Next door to my office, they are building a new office building. It's big. Right now, I can't tell you much more than that. Except that they have been building it since the second the snow melted this spring.

It's a never ending process. It's loud and obnoxious and terrible. Today, they are on the roof and I swear, they have the loudest nail guns in the history of nail gundom. I mean, in general, I am all about some hot construction guys right out my office window. But between the loudest nail guns ever, the constant monotone beeping of machinery going backwards (I seriously wonder if they ever drive it forwards) and some kind of saw thing that never seems to turn off, I am kinda losing my mind.

It's really just the repetitiveness, I think. It never stops. The only time there is quiet from that direction is when it's storming and then I have the echoing cacophony of rainfall on my big hollow roof.

And every day, every single day, by nine thirty, I have a headache. Not a serious, worrisome headache. Not a migraine or anything debilitating in any way. Just a headache.

And this job doesn't need any extra headaches.

I want them to be finished, but I don't know if they ever will. And I want better soundproofing in my office. You know, it's not like it's ten feet away, I shouldn't be able to hear everything that I am. When I turn off my radio, I can hear them talking to each other.

But mostly, I just want a day of real, live silence. And I hate silence. When I am missing the empty void of soundlessness, you know things have gotten out of hand.

No comments: