Friday, July 25, 2014

Five Things on Friday: Books I'm Reading

I have a slight attention span problem. Sometimes I can only really handle one book at a time. If I try to pick something up before I've finished whatever I was reading, I'll end up finishing book two and never going back to book one. Sometimes, though, I just keep piling on books until I am reading a half million at a time.

Right now, I'm reading five books. So, hey, I do this thing on my blog... Yeah, let's talk about that.

The Five Books I'm Reading Right Now


1. Sparrow Hill Road by Seanan McGuire - Seanan is my favorite and my best. I named my Jeep October after October Daye, the protagonist of one of her series. I will read pretty much anything she writes. Sparrow Hill Road is a beautiful ghost story told originally as a series of short stories. They've been rewritten into a novel, but I am really enjoying taking my time with it, savoring each little snippet as part of something big and beautiful. Plus, I have a print version, so I don't carry it with me.

2. The Coldest Girl in Coldtown by Holly Black - I'm listening to this on CD. I have wanted to read this book for a while, based solely on the cover. (I know.) And knowing that I was going to be spending a lot of time alone in a car this week, I went to the library to find something to listen to. When I saw this, I just about broke an arm grabbing it. And, let me tell you, my cover-judging skills did not disappoint me. This book is so good, I'm going to read-read it when I'm done listening-reading it. Seriously, I cannot recommend it enough.

3. Snuff by Terry Pratchett - I love the Discworld books by Terry Pratchett. I don't believe in reading them in order, so I don't even know how many of them I have floating out there unread, but my very favorites are the ones about Death. This one isn't about Death. My second favorites ones are the ones about Samuel Vimes. This one is about him. It's funny and beautiful and amazing.

4. Fatale Vol. 1 by Ed Brubaker - I bought a big bunch of comics a while back and I'm working my way through them. I'm not sure about this one. I've never read a comic with so little dialog and so much narration. I'll let you know.

5. The Princess Diaries by Meg Cabbott - So, while I was getting my book on tape, Maren wanted to get one too and we were in the young adult section and she picked this up and it was all pink and glittery and you know, I've got the Anne Hathaway movie memorized and oooh, look, Anne Hathaway reads it. I love her. And yeah, this should be fine. Let's get that. Well, I'm not entirely sure that was a good idea. I would let Brynna read it without hesitation, but Maren? I keep waiting for her to ask me what stuff means. And Mia is not a great role model. But, she is witty and funny and bubbly and Maren and Brynna are both enjoying it and that's pretty rare. So, I'm going to see it through to the bitter end. I guess.

What are you reading?

No comments: