Friday, November 30, 2012

Five Things on Friday - Gifts for the Geek Girl

Last year, I did this post on geek gifts from Etsy and I had so much fun, I knew I wanted to do it again. And this year, with a little more warning. So, are you ready FiFi? Are you psyched?

The Scattered Mind 2012 Geek Girls Gift Guide

1. For the Friend who Wears a Lot of Inexplicable Buckles - I've been in love with this Steampunk Bee necklace for weeks. I love the little watchy bits. And the way it hangs from the wings. This can be found in the Cosmic Firefly shop and let me tell you, honey: steampunk animals galore. Can I just say that anything with an octopus is wicked cool? Octopi and owls rule my little world. But even if the mechimals aren't your thing, there's plenty of steampunky goodness. Including tie clips and cuff links if your geek girl is actually a geek guy.

2. For the Girl Who Swears Bowties are Cool - One of my weird passions lately has been stuff that's sort of undercover geek. Like pretty inside jokes. And this Henna Police Box Pashmina is about the pretties thing I've ever seen. Honestly, I've never even wanted a pashmina until I saw this on from Geekiana. If you like the design but aren't exactly pashmina people, she's got it on bags, hoodies and just about everything. And there's other stuff, too. I'm just not sure who wouldn't be totally sucked in by this... On the other hand, there's some nice "Hello Sweetie" hoodies and another lovely Tardis Sugar Skull design. All in all, this one is a genius.

3. For the Friend who is Constantly Declaring Things to Be "Shiny" - Also, under the heading of undercover geek, falls this lovely Firefly Necklace sporting the Serenity symbol. If you aren't into Firefly, however, please don't fret, because this jewelry maker has got almost every major geek group in the 'verse. Peace of Shine boasts designs from Captain America, World of Warcraft, Harry Potter, the Dresden novels, Doctor Who, The Hunger Games, The Lord of the Rings, and pirates. Just 'cause Pirates are cool.

4. For the Actual Geek, as in Person Who Knows Something About Science - This very pretty Galaxy Nebula Cosmetic Bag from Toostys will be pretty in any purse or bag. If the lady in question doesn't actually use all that many cosmetics, get it anyway. This would be an awesome bag for her collection of LipSmackers, her crochet hooks, her pens and sharpies or any other knickknackies she needs to carry.


5. For the Classicly Geek Girl - Brynna and I have been reading The Hitchhiker's Guide to the Galaxy together. We just finished it last night. And she immediately begged me to move on and read some from the The Restaurant at the End of the Universe. This Don't Panic Necklace and Earrings with it's calm font and bonus dangling "42" reminds us once and for all that all the accumulated knowledge in the entire galaxy can be found in a nice, compact, ereader. (Before ereaders were invented, I might add.) In addition to this fine homage to one of the best books ever written, Scrap and Smith carries a wide array of weirdness. Most of it not connected to any particular geekdom, but you definitely can't call all those eyeballs and teeth mainstream.



Now go out there and shop till you drop.

No comments: