Wednesday, December 21, 2011

A Christmastime Meme

I've been slackin'. Mostly because I've just been swamped, but I like to think that is no excuse, so today I post! Today, I post a meme, though, because I'm still slackin'. I'm stealing this from Jen O. She stole it too. I think anyone can steal it now.

1. The Christmas song I can listen to even in June is:
You know, I love Christmas music, so this is a hard question. I really like "Sleigh Ride" and "Carole of the Bells," but honestly, the winner in my book is "River," by Joni Mitchell. I'm not sure what makes this song so magical to me, but I will totally pull out the CD and listen to it randomly throughout the year. Of course, I'm not sure that "River" is what you would call a traditional holiday song. But whatevs. It says Christmas.

2. Hot chocolate, eggnog or mulled wine?
Hot chocolate. Hot chocolate is actually one of my favorite things about Christmas. Understand, I drink it all the time, but I'm justified in drinking it at Christmas. Also, you can only make it with milk. No water shall touch my hot chocolately goodness. Also, spiked hot apple cider. Mmmmm.

3. When do you put up your Christmas decorations?
We put ours up the weekend after Thanksgiving. Saturday or Sunday depending on our schedule. Friday is for shopping and the rest of the weekend is for decking the halls. Of course, since the empty boxes are still in my hallway, apparently the time for carting boxes downstairs is the weekend before Christmas. This month has just flown by, people.

4. What are you having for Christmas dinner?
We don't really "do" Christmas dinner. We eat all day. We have sandwiches and soup and veggie tray and pico de gallo, because we lurve pico and it's just hanging out in the kitchen. We play with presents and watch movies and laugh and joke and hang out and just eat whenever we feel like it.

5. What’s your favorite Christmas tradition?
Reading The Night Before Christmas with the Girls. They sleep together on Christmas Eve and we read the story and put out snacks for Santa and all is right with the world.

6. Have you ever gone carol singing?
Once, when I was in middle school. Brynna wants to do it, so maybe next year?

Virginia
7. When did you discover the truth about Santa? 
What truth? The truth that Santa is the embodiment of magic and wonder and goodness? I believe Mr. Church and The Sun. "No Santa Claus! Thank God! he lives, and he lives forever. A thousand years from now, Virginia, nay, ten times ten thousand years from now, he will continue to make glad the heart of childhood." Like Virginia, I believe.

8. How do you decorate your Christmas tree? We have a colored light tree that's filled to brimming with all the ornaments that the girls have made, kept and remember. Almost everything on there has a story. I hope that one day I'll be able to have two trees and one of them will be a fancy, color-coordinated tree - but it's not worth giving up my messy, crazy tree.

9. What’s the best thing about Christmas?
5 a.m. You might hear me complain about getting up early all other 364 days of the year, but Christmas morning is all about bleary eyes and shuffling gates and the sheer and utter glory of waking up to magic, twinkling lights and the knowledge that amazing things happen when you aren't looking.


10. All I want for Christmas is: I suppose I should say World Peace, but I'm just working on my house right now. When I accomplish peace in my house, I'll start working on the planet.

What about you? Care to join in?

3 comments:

Jen O. said...

"...amazing things happen when you aren't looking." Love that.

Suze said...

Ooooh, what do you spike your cider with?

Jessi said...

Jen - Thanks!!

Suze - Spiced rum, I think is best. :)