As I may have mentioned in my last post, I now no longer have anyone with whom to go to the movies. Other than being a big ole first world problem, it is also not at all important because I never have the money to go to the movies anymore.
And yet... ever since a friend of mine mentioned a certain Hunger Games movie, I have to admit to panicking a little. Not because of that movie, I'll go see that if I have to sit in a lonely theatre by myself (which, disclosure - I won't.) No, because it dredges up a whole area of this forging ahead thing that I hadn't considered: I no longer have a "date."
Now, hear me out. I don't mean a date-date. I just mean, who goes to the movies with me? I no longer have a built-in person to do those things. So here are my list of
Five Things For Which I Will Be Accepting Applications on Accompaniment
1. Movies - I know, I've kinda covered this, and movies are probably the easiest things to attend on your own. For starters, there's no need for conversation, and for seconders, you're sitting in the dark. I used to do it all the time when I wrote movie reviews. But, my favorite part of the movie is honestly the end where I pick it apart. Most people hate that about me. I'm okay with people hating that about me because I love doing it so much. But still, it take someone special to attend a movie with me. Also, I am not exactly surrounded by folks who love sci-fi, horror and art films. Of course, I was never surrounded by anyone who loved art films, but still. As Meatloaf says, "two outta three ain't bad."
2. Concerts - There's actually a concert coming up that I really wanna go see, but I am NOT going alone. Save me from myself.
3. New Year's Eve - Every other year, I shall sit at home by myself and weep for my patheticness. Or fall asleep at 11:52 and miss the stinkin' ball.
4. Vacations - Let's put aside the fact that I haven't been on a vacation since my honeymoon. I have plans. Plans to go to Alaska and London (again) and go to the beach in Michigan and the Pacific Northwest and Maine to stalk Stephen King (shhhh, Stephen, you know I would never do that). On the other hand, all the places I've always wanted to go where he didn't want to go: Prince Edward Island, Arizona, New Zealand - are now up for grabs.
5. Haunted Houses - It's not so much that I don't know anyone else who would go with me. It's that I don't know anyone else who would go and walk in front and tell me if it's going to get claustrophobic in that special way that I have and then leave to go sit in the medic's tent with me if I hyperventilate. Wait... Why do I even want to do this?
Where are you glad to have someone to go with?