Thursday, April 14, 2011

The Rowboat

It's been rainy around here. Monday, there was a great deal of flooding in our neck of the woods. I never worry too much about flooding. The joke is that if our house floods, up on its hill, someone better call Noah.

Tuesday night, after the rain had finally stopped, we were all home. I had fussed at Maren for making a mess and at Brynna for not following instructions and at my husband for being him and I was exhausted and unhappy. I was sitting on my bed, ignoring the fact that I had mountains of housework to do. Hubby was sitting next to me, helping me ignore.

Maren burst into the room, throwing the door wide open and proclaimed, "I need speak wit you."
"Okay," I responded.
"Can I come up?"
"Sure."
She climbed up on the bed, gave me a kiss and sat down on Hubby's legs. Very seriously, she composed herself and looked from me to him and back again.
"We have no rowboat," she stated firmly and loudly. Raising both hands to her side in a near shrug.
"No, we don't," Hubby said as I laughed my first real laugh of the day.
"What are you going to do bout it?" she questioned fiercely.
"Well, I'm going to put you in charge of the situation," he replied, businesslike in the face of sheer lunacy. "Do you think you can fix this situation?"
"Yes. I will find us a rowboat," and with that, she climbed down, went out the door and shut it behind her.

The only way I can explain this is that she must have heard someone make a crack like, "If we get any more rain, we're going to need a rowboat."

3 comments:

ann said...

Truly awesome. I want to link to this. Can I?

Suze said...

You just made my day :)

Jessi said...

Mrs. A - Of course!

Suze - Glad you enjoyed. She is so funny.