Monday, January 4, 2010

We'll Always Have Sci Fi

This weekend, there was a Doctor Who marathon on BBC America. I love Doctor Who. I especially love the tenth doctor. I can't wait to meet the eleventh, but I will always love the tenth.

So, I endeavored to watch it. I honestly thought I would be lucky to get in 2 episodes. But, I found out something fascinating. Brynna likes Doctor Who.

That means that The Husband is outnumbered and I can watch it all the time, now.

It also means that I have finally got something in common with my kid. We don't like the same music. We don't like the same shows. We don't like the same clothes or colors or princesses. We don't really have much in common at all. We both like purple. That's pretty much it.

But, now, we both like Doctor Who.

It's more than just having something in common, too. I feel like I have baptized her to Sci Fi. I feel like this is the first step to a greater geekiness. Someday, she'll watch Serenity with me. Someday, we trade Dresden novels and I will give her my collection edition of the Hitchhiker "Trilogy." Someday, we'll snark over the love/hate relationship that Hollywood has with Phillip K. Dick and someday we'll daydream about Comic-Con.

I wouldn't say that SciFi is my life or even my passion. In fact, given the choice, I would choose horror. And that's always been a gap between us. See, Brynna hates to be scared. She's never going to watch The Exocist with me. Never. I know that kids grow up and change and yadda, yadda. But some things don't change, some things are personality traits and I may be wrong, but I just don't see it.

But, now we have SciFi. Now we have something to share. A whole world (or rather millions of alternate universes) to explore together. To trade and discuss and wonder. She's my girl. And I'm her mom. And we love Sci Fi.

And Maren? Maren'll be watching The Exorcist with me in no time.

3 comments:

Tina said...

I totally agree! I can imagine you setting up seperate movie nights with the girls and loving every minute of it.

Steph said...

Is David Tennant the tenth? I like him pretty well. But Christopher Eccleston is still my fave.

I had no idea I could get this hooked on Dr. Who. I have no interest in the old ones. But I'm totally geeked on these. I'm glad Brynna loves them too.

Jessi said...

Yep. He's the tenth. I read this thing the other day about how everyone has "their" doctor. I haven't been into it for long, but I'm pretty sure that David Tennant is mine.