I used to go to the movies a lot, and then I had kids. Now I consider going to the movies to be one of the world's biggest treats. Here are:
Five Movies I'd Like to Treat Myself with Right Now
1. Woman in Black - I'm plotting to take my grandma (who is increasingly living my dream of becoming a hermit) to see this next weekend. We share an intense love of ghost stories and all things horror. Grandmommy, however, doesn't like the slasher end of the spectrum, which makes movies that are absolutely perfect for her few and and far between. I think the last one was The Others. Combine the creepy feeling, the Victorian flair and the Daniel Radcliffe of it all and I think we have a winner.
2. Chronicle - I love a good sci-fi. I also love a good twist on the super hero genre and Chronicle promises to be both. Also, I love high school movies. I don't know why.
3. Contraband - Mark Wahlberg. Is there really anything else I need to say? Okay, so it's also an action movie, and it doesn't seem like it's going to take itself too, too seriously. This is a risk we run with Marky-Mark.
4. Iron Lady - This is a biopic about Margaret Thatcher, a woman I find fascinating. If I ever get to see this, I guarantee it'll be all alone, but I'm in anyway.
5. Joyful Noise - This doesn't seem like the strongest premise ever and I'm not even 100% sure what it's about. Frankly it doesn't matter. Queen Latifah and Dolly Parton. That's all I needed - two of my favorite women doing their thing. I kinda can't wait.
Sooooo.... For those of you counting, this is my 500th post. Which kinda blows my mind. Who woulda ever thought I had so much to say. I really, really appreciate all of you coming along for the ride - it's been wild, but I would have given up long, long ago if it weren't for each of you.
I'd like to give you each a puppy. But I can't. I can't afford that many puppies, plus the shipping would be a bear. And of course, I'm not at all sure that you guys would even want a puppy. So, in lieu of that, and in honor of me babbling along for 500 whole posts, I'm giving away one $25 gift certificate to AMC Theatres.
To enter, simply leave a comment telling me what movie you would like to go see right now. If there's nothing out there, you may feel free to leave a comment about the horrible-ness of modern cinema.
A couple of notes:
- I'll take entries until next Thursday night at midnight. I'll announce the winner in next week's Five Things.
- Only one entry per person, please.
- I will choose the winner using a random number generator to be all fair and pants.
- I am not in any way affiliated with or reimbursed by AMC Theatres. They don't know who I am or what I am about. If I died tomorrow and started haunting their corporate headquarters, they wouldn't even recognize my ghost. They'd be forced to hire a medium to get rid of me because they would have no idea how to put my soul to rest.