Thursday, January 5, 2012

Life Bankruptcy

So, I sometimes read The Frugal Girl, despite being ridiculously un-frugal. I guess I read it because I think I want to be frugal and then I think, "Oh my goodness - who does that?!?" Although, in my defense, I made my own laundry detergent last week. That's right. Made my own laundry detergent. It smells like heaven, although that smell doesn't seem to transfer to the clothes. They just smell clean. Not clean and heavenly.

In any case, yesterday she was writing about cleaning out her fridge and said that it was like "declaring food waste bankruptcy, and you can have a fresh, clean start."

I love this idea. 

Can I declare time bankruptcy and just quit everything and start adding things back in as I deem necessary/fun?

How about basement bankruptcy?

Or work bankruptcy? Can someone just come and clean off my desk so I can start over?

For the past 24 hours, I have wandered around looking at the mess that is my life and trying to devise ways to declare bankruptcy over it all. Get it out and start fresh. That's what I want. That's what I need.

Of course, just like real bankruptcy, it's a lot of work and worry and stress. But I think it may be worth it.

I mean, really. My Christmas tree is still up. Mostly so that I can keep shoving toys under it rather than finding a new home for them all. My kitchen is crowded with dirty dishes and canned goods that don't fit in the cabinet that is obviously too small for my canned goods, but where I insist they must go. My bedroom has no floor. At least I assume it doesn't because it's been so long since I've seen it. And I'm never home to do anything about any of this.

And when I am, I can't get motivated because it's all so overwhelming.

And there's the rub. I am overwhelmed. So overwhelmed that the work it takes to declare Life Bankruptcy seems like too much to tackle. But maybe I'm just thinking too big. Maybe I need to start with something like Junk Drawer Bankruptcy. Bill Basket Bankruptcy. Spice Cabinet Bankruptcy. Kitchen Counter Bankruptcy. Crochet Pattern Bankruptcy.

Get it out. Start fresh.

What about you? Yearning to declare bankruptcy over something?

6 comments:

ann said...

I love Frugal Girl. I read it every day. :-) But, my husband and I are pretty frugal.

Um, lately I've been declaring fear bankruptcy. I've been trying to get rid of all of them. I drive on the interstate now, five years after I got my license, 15+ years after I was legally eligable for a license. I got a new job, in a different field, in which I had no background and no official edumacation. I talk to people who used to hate me. I write on my blog. (though not often...) Fear stinks, and I'm tired of being held-down by it (though I didn't realize I was.

You wore a hat to work, so I think you can do the other things you want to do, too. (Really.)

Karen said...

This is SO me!! I think the overwhelmed and bedroom floor part is where I started looking over my shoulder to make sure that you weren't talking about me!!

Jessi said...

Ann - I think you were the one who turned me onto Frugal Girl. I love the idea of fear bankruptcy. :)

Karen - I am so glad I am not alone in my bedroom floor issue. Floor bankruptcy, here I come!

Allan Morais said...

I like how you think about bankruptcy. Yes, the number one benefit you can get from it is that you can start fresh again with your life. The procedure can really be overwhelming, especially if you don’t know what to do. But, once you accept the fact and do something about it, that’s when you start your path to being financially free!

Unknown said...
This comment has been removed by the author.
Jaden Allred said...

“Get it out and start fresh. That's what I want. That's what I need.”—It’s good that you take bankruptcy in a positive way. Usually, people think that life ends there once they go through a bankruptcy. What they don’t know is that this is also the chance to start a new life and change the way they manage your finances before. This gives a person an opportunity to make things right and learn lessons from the past.