Tuesday, June 28, 2011

Making a List

There are many shades of nueroses in this world. I have more than seven, myself. However, my favorite one right now is the list-making-crazy. I am the queen of the list. Not because I am oh-so-productive or organized. But just because it soothes my soul.

I have a whole notebook full of lists.

  • Grocery lists. 
  • Cleaning lists
  • Redecorating project lists
  • Lists of clothing items the girls need each season
  • Packing lists
  • To do lists
  • Craft project lists
I can't explain to you the peace that I find in making a list. Not just because it makes my head feel organized, but also because it makes me feel like any job in the world is managable. It's simply a matter of getting it all in a list. 

I hold onto my lists and add and check things off and rearrange them and prioritize them. I'm currently working on three or four lists that are sort of long term project lists and need to be tweaked before they are "finalized." Of course, the glory of a list, the beauty is that they are never truly finished. There's always something to add, take away, check off, move around or forget about completely. They are fluid. And yet still somehow solid and concrete. 

You can hold onto a list, mark your progress. Monitor your results. But at the same time, a list never moves beyond the realm of a working document. 

So what about you? Are you a list maker? Are you horrified by my waxing poetic about lists?

3 comments:

Suze said...

I like lists, too. I have lots and lots of mental lists, and sometimes I write them down. I find that when I'm overwhelmed with household tasks (like cleaning), if I write down everything that needs to be done, it's a little easier to prioritize.

Anonymous said...

I need to be a better list maker...groceries, projects, to-do's. I'm a total procrastinator!

Joni said...

I LOVE lists, so I'm thrilled to find someone else who does! I've actually moved even MORE OCD with my mental organization, though, by having spreadsheets for things rather than just lists. But MAN, am I organized! ;)