Friday, February 4, 2011

Five Things on Friday - Time Sucks Edition

I may have mentioned that all my resolutions this year were about time and I didn't know where it was going to come from. I still don't. But I have found some of it. It was being sucked by the interwebzzz and it has to stop. Or slow down. Or be shared by all. I don't know. I've been trying to cut down, honest.

In any case, I thought perhaps you all would love to meet some of my nefarious time sucks yourselves, so you too can not have enough time for basic human hygiene.

My Five Worst Internet Time Sucks

1. Mahjong - Specifically, Mahjong Dark Dimensions. In the beginning you get three minutes on the clock, so I always think it'll take maybe 5 minutes to finish a game, but you just keep getting time added on and before you know it, you've invested 15 or 20 minutes in a single game and you NEED to replay to prove that you can do better. It is the most addictive thing since Minesweeper. And I was a nut for Minesweeper.

2. Farmville - Yes. You can blame me for your miserable Facebook experience. Look, I try not to publish much. I also have never spent the first penny on it and I only play once a day (well, on rare occasion twice) but seriously, I'm not that bad. There are other Farmers you hate more, trust me. The thing with Farmville is that you can't really slow down. You can't really play less, because you are always leaving something undone. And it's seriously like work - the better you get, the more you have to do. I could easily spend two hours a day on my farm and still not finish everything I'd like to do. I'm going to have to quit, but I'm not sure if I can. You all should start planning an intervention.

3. Free Rice - I sincerely hope that I'm not the first person to tell you about Free Rice, the website where answering trivia or vocabulary questions feeds hungry people. If so, then you should skittle on over. Just wait until you get to a thousand grains of rice, you'll never look back.

4. Sporcle - Specifically, the Presidents quiz. Oh, my. I could spend all day doing this. I always forget Taft. I don't know why. I should be able to remember Taft. Anyway, if you browse around a bit in the categories, you'll find everything from Buffy characters to Shakespeare quotes. So many quizzes, some of them very hard and some of them refreshingly easy. In any case, don't forget Taft.

5.Shopping - I love to shop online. I go to a store that I like and start filling up a shopping basket/cart/bag and then never check out. It's a sick obsession, really, but I just get whatever I like for me, The Husband, the girls, the house, my mom and then just close the window. It's like window shopping without the exercise, which seems pretty pointless when you put it like that, but it's also window shopping you can do at work without being noticed by your boss. Unless you can't. I don't know where you work.

So, what sucks your time? Or are you that good that your time never gets sucked? Or maybe just not on the computer? Commiserate, please.

1 comment:

Suze said...

I spend way too much time online. Especially when I'm home all day (like today) without much of an agenda. I should stop, but what else am I going to do? The laundry? ugh.