Friday, December 17, 2010

Five Things on Friday - Chestnuts Edition

We listen to a lot of Christmas music around the Scattered Homestead. I'm not sure I know why, but I (the woman who normally hates all things "schmaltz") cannot get enough "White Christmas" or "Carol of the Bells." This year, Brynna's been listening to the music a little closer than normal and has had some questions about some of the lyrics. I can't answer most of them, maybe you can.

1. "Who tells ghost stories at Christmas?" In "The Most Wonderful Time of the Year," the author makes mention of "Scary ghost stories and tales of the glories of Christmases long, long ago." I have no idea why. I'm kinda with her on this one. Is there some ancient tradition of ghost stories on Christmas Eve or something. Does this refer solely to A Christmas Carol, because that seems like overkill. I mean, yes, classic literature, but really?

2. "Mommy, why are they so mean?" I've got to tell you that Brynna has been happily singing the first verse of "We Wish You a Merry Christmas," for about four years. But this year, she heard the other verses and wanted to know what was up with the "...and bring it right now," nonsense. I got nothing for this. Trick or treaters would be kicked on their tricky butts for behaving this poorly. You'd think carolers could act just as nicely.

3. "Someone should knock the other kiddies down..." I was singing merrily along to "It's Beginning to Look a Lot Like Christmas," when Brynna because enraged that someone would knock down someone else's snowman. Good thing she hasn't had a pumpkin smashed.

4. "Why are there so many sad Christmas songs?" Okay, I'm taking partial blame for this one, because I play "River" whenever I don't like what's on either Christmas station. But, I never thought about it from her perspective. "I'll be Home for Christmas," "Blue Christmas," that very annoying song about meeting the woman in the liquor store and sitting in a cold car all night talking.



5. "Do you have to cover your head?" I was lost in my old little world when this question came. It took me a solid five minutes to figure out what she was even asking. "So jump in bed and cover your head 'cause Santa Claus comes tonight," from "Here Comes Santa Claus."

What are your favorite Christmas songs?

2 comments:

Suze said...

This made me laugh.
Daniel's favorite CD at the moment is the Bela Fleck Christmas album from a few years ago, which includes lot of improv and some throat singing. I love it!

KYmomx3 said...

Kai asked the same question about the Scary Ghost Stories...I don't get it either.

My favorite Jesus related Christmas song is Mary did you know by Wynonna and Kenny Rogers. It gives me goose bumps to hear Wynonna sing "when you kiss your little baby, you've kissed the face of God" HOW AMAZING!

My favorite non Jesus Christmas song is Rockin' around the Christmas Tree...the old version that was in Home Alone. I love that movie and that song!